This page is for you if you last practiced dental hygiene in Nova Scotia, on or after May 15, 2009, and you are requesting to reinstate or re-license after your licence has expired. This includes individuals who have requested removal from the CDHNS Register, or who remained on the CDHNS Register, but allowed their licence to expire.
If you last practiced dental hygiene in Nova Scotia before May 15, 2009, you were never registered with the CDHNS. You are considered a new applicant. Please go to the Registration Information page. Select the application form pathway that fits your situation e.g., hold a current practising licence in another Canadian jurisdiction, and are in good standing.
To assist you in your preparations, we are providing you with a generic checklist.
- Use this generic checklist to register for the Nov 1, 2023, to Oct 31, 2024 licensing year.
Please note that not all of these requirements may apply to you and your situation. Detailed information for each step is found below this initial step summary.
- Email CDHNS to provide the following required information:
(a) Subject Line: Requesting reinstatement with the CDHNS
(b) Body of Email: Include your full name (and any previous first or last names). Indicate that you are reinstating and wish to request access to the CDHNS Registrant Portal. If you know when your previous CDHNS licence number, and the dates you were last registered with the CDHNS, please provide that as well.
- The CDHNS will confirm the documentation retained on file, and any remaining documentation still required.
- Compile any remaining required documentation, including Verification of Registration forms from all applicable jurisdictions.
- Complete registration and licensing process, including payment of final fees.
- Complete interview with the Registrar.
Please email email@example.com and provide the following information:
(a) Subject Line: Requesting reinstatement with the CDHNS
(b) Body of Email: Include your full name (and any previous first or last names). Indicate that you are reinstating and wish to request access to the CDHNS Registrant Portal. If you know your previous CDHNS licence number, and the dates you were last registered with the CDHNS, please include that information.
To assist you in your preparations, we are providing you with the generic CDHNS Reinstatement Application Checklist. Again, please note: Not all of these requirements may apply to you and your situation.
Once you are given access to the CDHNS Registrant Portal, you will be able to submit the correct form through the Portal i.e., application for reinstatement. You will be provided with a new customized checklist after you submit your reinstatement application and the application fee payment.
The CDHNS staff will work with you and confirm if we have any of the following documents on file:
- A photocopy of your birth certificate
- A passport-type sized photo (full facial profile) in a format appropriate for a regulator e.g., business casual clothing. Please note: This does not have to be an official passport photo, and you may be smiling in the image.
- Date you successfully completed the Jurisprudence NS course or the Self Initiation NS course
- Your employment visa or permanent resident card, under Canadian Immigration Act (non-Canadian citizens only)
- Copy of any English language proficiency tests completed (Mother tongue other than English and/or Dental Hygiene program delivered in a language other than English). See the English Language Requirements.
- The National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination (NDHCE) written examination certificate
- Certificate of completion of any modules completed separately from your DH undergrad program e.g., permanent restorative, orthodontics, local anaesthetic (LA)
- Your official DH program transcript, with proof of graduation, from an accredited school OR
- Your official DH program transcript, with proof of graduation, from a non-accredited school, plus a copy of certificate of completion of a Clinical Competency Assessment in a recognized jurisdiction
Depending on the length of time since you were last registered in Nova Scotia, the documents that you will, or may, be required to provide to complete your reinstatement application are:
- Proof of professional liability insurance (PLI), e.g., PLI purchased through CDHA, or PLI from another company that meets the requirements
- A copy of your current permanent CPR card/ certificate (i.e., taken within the last 12 months), at the level required by CDHNS Council
- Evidence of 45 hours of continuing dental hygiene education within the most recent three years. Please enter your continuing dental hygiene education courses (with supporting documentation) online, through the CDHNS Registrant Portal. (Does not apply to applicants who graduated within the last 36 months.)
- Evidence that you have practiced 600 hours of dental hygiene in the 3 years immediately before the date of your application. (Does not apply to applicants who graduated within the last 36 months.) If applicable, this must be in the form of a signed letter from the employer (on letterhead), ROE (Record of Employment), or another acceptable alternative document, as determined by the Registrar.
- A current passport-type sized photo, if requested by CDHNS (required if your photo on file is over 3 years)
- Evidence of successful completion of the Jurisprudence NS course or the Self Initiation NS course, completed within the last 3 years (if it has been more than three years since you last practiced in Nova Scotia)
If you have been registered in other jurisdictions since you last practiced in Nova Scotia, you must complete Part A of the CDHNS Verification Form for Other Regulatory Bodies and send the form to each jurisdiction that you are currently (or were previously) certified, licensed, or registered as a dental hygienist, since you last practiced in NS. Please request that each jurisdiction send the completed form directly to the CDHNS.
Self-Initiation Exemption Request: If you are applying to have your self-directed clinical education or experience recognized under Regulation 8 (1)(h), please submit a completed letter of application. Please contact CDHNS to request the template for submission.
If you are applying to have your local anaesthesia, orthodontics, and/or permanent restorative competencies recognized, please complete the relevant online application form (links are within the Registrant Portal), and provide any required documentation. Review the relevant policy(ies) to ensure you provide the required information. You will find these policies within the application and on the website under Legislative Information and Standards of Practice. Note: These procedures are not mandatory to obtain a practising licence in NS, but you cannot perform them unless you are authorized by the CDHNS.
Time Frames for Processing Applications
Applications are processed in the order in which they are completed. We do our best to process all applications in a timely manner. Typically, applications take about 4-6 weeks to be completed, and for individuals to be placed on the CDHNS Register and issued a practising licence. This timing depends on the length of time it takes the applicant to provide all of the necessary documentation and fees. During busier times, e.g., renewals and when multiple new graduates apply, this time frame may be extended. Please inform potential employers of this time frame, so that they can schedule your anticipated start date, accordingly.
The attached document provides you with a listing of potential application, registration, and licensing fees.
For all applications, we accept certified cheques or money orders, e-transfers, and credit card payments. When an invoice is generated, it will include further details on how to complete the methods of payment.
To ensure you are appropriately credited, provide the following information for all payment forms:
- the first name and last name of the individual who submitted the application form.
- This must match the name on the initial application.
- the invoice number related to that payment. Please remember that the invoice for your registration and licensing fee will be generated later in the application process. Your application invoice fee will be generated as soon as you submit your application.
We accept credit card payment through Plastiq. Using Plastiq, a third-party service provider, you can pay with MasterCard, Visa or American Express:
- Go to: https://request.plastiq.com/pay-college-of-dental-hygienists-of-nova-scotia and register with Plastiq to create an account.
- Tell Plastiq the amount you want to pay and when you want to send it.
Please note that payments may take 3-5 business days to process and that a Plastiq service fee will be applied (up to 2.9% for credit cards, 1% for debit cards).
For more information about Plastiq, review Frequently Asked Questions About Plastiq
Applicants are required to meet with the Registrar, virtually.
This is the last step in the application process. An interview is not booked until the rest of the registration process is complete. Once an application is complete, the CDHNS will contact you directly to schedule this interview.
The purpose of this structured interview is to ensure that reinstating individuals understand their professional obligations regarding the practice of dental hygiene in Nova Scotia, including obligations under the Act and Regulations. There is no advance preparation required by the applicant.
The interview will highlight:
- Sections 25 through 28 of the Regulations;
- the Order or Protocol, Schedule A to the Dental Hygiene Regulations (if applicable);
- the CDHNS Continuing Competency Program Requirements document; and
- any other relevant information pertinent to the specific registrant.
During this interview, you are able to ask questions and obtain clarity on any area of the legislation or elements of dental hygiene practice that may be unclear.